The internet has become a terrific source of quality education for many fields of interest and multimedia is no exception. The purpose of this section of the SIG website is to provide a good selection of videos that are informative and pertinent to the SIG. This list is a “moving target” and will periodically change as new information becomes available, or better videos are discovered which update or better cover a subject. Suggestions are always welcome for a video to add to this list!
List updated last on: 03/8/2017 This list will expand greatly, so stay tuned!
General Educational Resources
- CreativeLive This is a terrific resource and at the basic level, it is free! You sign up, log in, and watch free classes live by real experts in their field. You can also purchase copies of classes that have already been given, which gives you access to the supporting materials. This requires some investment in time on your part because the classes, being live, follow their own schedule. By subscribing to CreativeLive, you’ll get notifications of what classes are coming up. Check out their website to see much more information.
- Lynda.com Another great resource and like CreativeLive, there are numerous courses available on a wide variety of subjects.
- Vimeo Video School Vimeo has a lot of quality instructional videos covering all aspects of video production by amateurs or professionals.
- YouTube When you dive into YouTube for video education, you are really going to have to be willing to dig through a lot of dross in order to find the quality offerings, so don’t settle for amateur stuff. To get you started, try “Filmmaker IQ” (some of which is listed below).
Basic Introductory Level Video School
The Series immediately below are all from Vimeo.com, featuring a master of photography and video, Phillip Bloom, and Vimeo’s Andrea Allen. While not all exclusively focused on shooting video with your DSLR, they make a nice series that builds one upon the other.
- Introduction to DSLR Cameras
- DSLR Accessories
- Setting Up Your DSLR
- DSLR Lenses
- Recording Sound For DSLR
- Shooting Video with a DSLR
- Timelapse With A DSLR
- Nighttime Shooting With A DSLR
- The Filmmaker IQ series on “sound”, presented by John Hess.
- Adobe Audition tutorials
- 8 Adobe Audition Tutorials Every Video Editor Should Watch (A selection of nice tutorials compiled by Premiumbeat.com)
- Green Screen
- The Fundamental Elements of Film Music (Another great presentation by John Hess of Filmmaker IQ)
- Creative Commons (All about CC licensing and includes numerous sources for free music for your project. A great resource!)
- 10 Royalty Free Music Sites (10 good sources that offer a free or low-cost sources of music.)